Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chicken Rico


Deep in the heart of Highlandtown is Chicken Rico. Presiding at 3728 Eastern Avenue, it not hard to find. You can generally just follow your nose right to it. I am not sure when it was renamed, but originally it was called Pollo Rico. Rich Chicken. This is a place you do not have to be rich to eat like a king. 


The decor is kind of neutral, feeling more like an Arby's than a Peruvian chicken joint. For the number of people passing through, it is unusually clean. There is no one at the counter now, but 15 minutes after this photo was taken, there was a line 20 people long. The staff have the routine down to science so the line moves along very quickly. Chicken Rico is wildly popular. It also happens to be one of my favorite lunch places. What's good? Everything!


I tend to stick to the main stay; the charcoal broiled chicken. They have a number of Peruvian dishes including carne asada, lomo saltado, tortas, subs, and pesco frito. Chicken smicken right? WRONG! The spices they marinate this chicken in is beyond any other chicken I have tasted. I cannot put my finger on what is in the blend. It is not spicy, but it is intoxicating. Not making any implications, but I often joke that I think there is weed in the spice blend. The chicken is always tender and moist.


For under $7 you get a quarter chicken, two sides and a can of soda. The choice of sides change, but generally include: white rice, fried rice, fried potatoes, fried yuca, fried plantains, beans, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, soup, corn on the cob, and salad. It varies day to day on the last few. Though their descriptions sound American, these sides are all truly Peruvian in flavor. Todays choice(my usual) fried rice(Spanish style, not Chinese style) and fried plantains. Talk about filling! The portions are very generous. I want to point out the two small cups at the top of the photo. The right hand one is a curry mayonnaise. It goes well on everything. At first I thought it odd but have come to really love it. On the left is some kind of hot sauce. Once again, I cannot put my finger on what is in it. It is exceptionally good stuff. Very hot, but not over whelming.

My rating? A solid 9.

1 comment:

  1. OK, now I am really hungry. I'll have to try that place sometime.

    ReplyDelete